The article above doesn’t give a complete picture of China. It is, however, a salient one.
There are MANY who would lead us to believe that China is an emerging power; an emerging SUPER power.
In 2009 the population of China was pegged at 1,331,460,000! That is almost four times the population of the U.S. It’s ludicrous that they are NOT a power already.
Why is China soooooo backward? Why do so many of it’s people live in squalor? Why after what 5000 or so years of “civilization” are they playing catch up? They have had a HUGE head start.
Well in my not so humble opinion for the vast majority of Chinese history, the Chinese people were chattel. Not much has changed. Their system is oppressive. and has been for a REALLY LONG TIME. As such, China is a threat. It’s a society that does NOT share our values. It is a government that regards its people as tools.
What do their leaders think of us? How do they regard our society? Well, if they see their own people as tools, I can’t imagine they think very highly of us. Given their trade practices, of which I have some personal experience, they don’t respect us.
I think it’s time our relations with China reflect the reality that they are NOT our friends. Maybe enemy is not the right word either. Maybe it is.
Like me on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mind-of-Moran/143474912371803
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The China syndrome (boston.com)
- On The Possibility Of Understanding China (chinalawblog.com)
- Chinese on way to overtaking UK tourists to Australia (theage.com.au)
- The Disneyland of Museums – Shanghai, China (travelpod.com)
- 5 Blogs About Why China Is Disgusting (awesomebitch.wordpress.com)
- RBS launches China joint venture (bbc.co.uk)
- China Reveals Underbelly of Fear (tibetstruth.com)
- “China Is Not A Currency Manipulator, Yat” and related posts (thenewspundit.com)
- The Chinese way of planning – Yongding, China (travelpod.com)
- (Not) Seeing Red – China currency policy gets a pass (politico.com)
- Chinas auto market the worlds biggest – and growing fast (theglobeandmail.com)
- Chinese e-commerce giant opens furniture showroom (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- China and Malaysia to Ban BPA From Chidren’s Products (treehugger.com)
- China Clamps Down in Bid to Halt Mongolian Protests (online.wsj.com)
- Rural China (belatedgap.wordpress.com)
- “US Treasury Once Again Says China Not A Currency Manipulator. Now Go Back to Sleep.” and related posts (thenewspundit.com)