Many of us are still scratching our heads over Obama‘s remarks to/about the role of the Supreme Court this past Monday. There have been in our past Presidents who have had contention with the “Justice’s Nine,” however, I don’t think it’s EVER been in question that a primary role of the Supreme Court is to rule on the constitutionality of legislation.
In fact, the President’s assertion is so ridiculous that one could similarly argue that he has no right to veto legislation passed by a strong congressional majority.
Many have suggested this is Obama’s Chicago thug political style coming through. Well, I didn’t notice any words or tones that sounded threatening. In fact, I thought he sounded desperate.
As for me, I have no concerns about the black-robed ones being unduly influenced by ANYONE. I’m quite sure that each Justice has already made up his or her mind. A vote has been taken. There will be some deliberations, but I doubt any of them will change their minds. They didn’t get to their appointment by being wishy-washy. At least I wouldn’t think so.
In June we’ll know the verdict. I doubt there is anyone more anxious about the ruling than the President himself.
- Poll Question: Has Obama Gone Too Far in His Criticisms of the Supreme Court? (thedailybeast.com)
- Eric Holder Reassures Supreme Court: Obama Respects You (inquisitr.com)
- Obama Warns the Supreme Court About “HIS” Law! (stargazer12.wordpress.com)
- Obama’s Supreme Court comments stir debate (lesliebrodie.wordpress.com)
- Obama setting up Supreme Court as a campaign issue (hosted.ap.org)